Welcome to Main-Transit Fire Department. We currently have 35 guests and 36 members online...

Headline - ARTICLES

Hidden Dangers of Halloween

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission there have been at least 15 cases of burn injuries and one death involving kids' Halloween costumes (since 1980. Add to that an average of 920 home structure fires cause by decorations, resulting in 47 injuries and 12.8 million in property damages per year, making Halloween a potentially dangerous holiday.

This year make sure your home and family are safe from these potential dangers. Following the simple fire safety precautions below, can help keep your Halloween, safe, fun and danger-free:

  • When choosing a costume, stay away from billowing or long trailing fabric. If you are making your own costume, choose material that won't easily ignite if it comes into contact with heat or flame. If your child is wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough so they can clearly see out of them.
  • Provide children with flashlights to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costume.
  • Dried flowers, cornstalks, and crepe paper are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations well away from all open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
  • It is safest to use a glow stick or battery-operated candle in a jack-o-lantern. If you use a real candle, use extreme caution. Make sure children are watched at all times when candles are lit. When lighting candles inside jack-o-lanterns, use long fireplace-style matches or a utility lighter. If you choose to use candle decorations, make sure to keep them well attended at all times.
  • Remember to keep exits clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes.
  • Tell children to stay away from open flames. Be sure they know how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire. (Have them practice, stopping immediately, dropping to the ground, covering their face with hands, and rolling over and over to put the flames out.)
  • When decorating inside the home, consider using battery operated candles instead of regular burning candles.
  • Don't overload electrical circuits
  • Don't use frayed, cracked or otherwise damaged electrical cords.




Main-Transit Fire Department Steak Out

The Main-Transit Fire Department will be hosting our annual "Steak Out" fund raising dinner on Saturday, June 9th (Doors open at 5pm / Dinner at 6pm).

RESERVE YOUR TICKETS NOW!
Tickets $30 pre-sale if purchased or reserved by May 31st.

($35 at the door)

Dinner includes:

  • Succulent 10 oz. New York Strip Steak (Chicken and vegetarian option also available)
  • Vegetable & Mashed Potato Bar
  • Fresh Tossed Salad
  • Dessert!!!!!!!
  • 2 FREE Alcoholic Beverages
  • FREE Soda and Water


Entertainment!

  • LIVE Music!
  • Over 100 Door Prizes!
  • (automatic entry with every ticket)
  • Chinese Auction Prizes!
  • Evening Bonfire!

 


Limited tickets available -- purchase your tickets now!


For more information, call 632-9710 ext.113 or RESERVE your tickets at [email protected].

 


 

 

Alerts: Snow Drifts Can Cause CO Poisoning

MTFD Alert Snow Drifts Can Cause CO Poisoning


The New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control (OFPC) issued a Safety Alert advising homeowners and businesses throughout New York State that heavy snowfall and drifting snow may create a new hazard: carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, dangerous gas, commonly known as CO.

State Fire Administrator Floyd A. Madison said that with the recent onslaught of lake-effect snows in western, central and northern portions of New York State, local fire agencies have reported an increase in calls about carbon monoxide detectors going off in homes. Madison said that the reason for these calls is that high snow drifts may be blocking furnace vents and air intakes in some homes, particularly those that have newer high-efficiency furnaces.

“New, high efficiency furnaces vent out the side of a house rather than up through the roof,” Madison said. “This type of venting and air intake must be kept free and clear of snow. If it plugs up, the carbon monoxide would go back into the home. This is why the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control is issuing this warning.”

The State Fire Administrator said that some areas of New York State have received more than three feet of snow in the last week. Many newer high efficiency furnaces have an automatic device that shuts off the furnace when the vents are blocked, but not all of them. First responders say it is important to keep a three-foot area clear around the vent and intake tubes.

The New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control advises all New Yorkers affected by the recent heavy snows to inspect the area around their furnace and hot water heater vents to ensure that snow and ice are not blocking the efficient and safe operation of these fuel burning devices. Homeowners should keep a three- foot area around the vents clear of snow, shrubs, or other potential obstructions.

If your CO alarm sounds, evacuate all family members to a safe location and CALL 911

Additional information on carbon monoxide may be found at:

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/fire/COtoolkit.htm

http://hamburg.wgrz.com/content/new-york-state-fire-issues-safety-alert-snow-increases-carbon-monoxide-hazard

More Articles...

Page 1 of 17

Start
Prev
1

Safety Check Poll

How often do you check your smoke detector batteries?

Banquet Facilities

Mar10 Demo Image

Have an upcoming Party or Get-Together?

Check-out and book our newly renovated banquet facilities for your next gathering!

Read More

The Slo-Pokes

Come See Us Training in Action!

Our competitive Slop-Pokes Team utilize many facets of everyday firefighting skills, including developing unity, dedication, skill amongst themselves, and pride within the department..

Learn More

The Explorers

Fostering the Future of Our Youth & Community

Developing support for volunteer fire and community service is an ongoing dedication at Main-Transit Fire Department. The Explorers is our youth program designed to help develop the  formation of positive relationships and a sense of belonging to something greater than ones self, for youths ages 14-18 years of age.

Learn More

Softball League

Strength in Teamwork

Our softball games are played on Friday evenings followed by get-together between departments players, members, family and fans. This has helped establish a close friendship amongst neighboring departments that often work together in mutual aid.

Learn More

Bowling League

Competitive Fun

Competing in the Amherst Firemen's Bowling League is just one of the many ways that we establish bonds with our neighboring departments while participating in a fun and competitive atmosphere.

Learn More

Site Login